According to the Italian health system, a health insurance must satisfy the following requirements:
- covering expenses in case of emergency treatment, urgent hospitalisation and repatriation expenses;
- provide full coverage for healthcare risks (maternity included)*;
- cover the entire duration of your stay in Italy (including a validity and expiry date);
- provide for the policy-holder's repatriation to their country in case of serious illness;
- be either in English or translated into Italian (authenticated by the Italian Embassy/Consulate);
- be valid throughout the Schengen area.
* entry visa health insurance should cover a minimum of €30,000 for emergency hospitalisation and repatriation expenses. It must be valid throughout the Schengen area.