Here follows the main steps on the procedure, for further details please contact your host organization or Welcome Office FVG.
What to do (by the applicant in his/her country)
- Find a delegated person in Italy who applies for Nulla Osta on your behalf (the host organization, an Italian, Eu citizen or Non Eu citizen holding a valid permit of stay)
- Contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate for the translation and legalization of the proxy required for “ricongiungimento familiare al seguito” (Form MODS4). Additional documentation could be asked.
- Send the proxy (the original) to the delegated person in Italy
What to do (by the delegated person in Italy)
- Submit the request of Nulla Osta at the Interior Ministry website. A scanned copy of all documents in one PDF file is requested. It is warmly recommended to get assistance from an acknowledged Patronato (ask Welcome Office FVG for a list).
- After the online request, the delegated person will be informed about the interview at Sportello unico immigrazione to collect Nulla Osta. He/she must bring the originals of the submitted documentation, the revenue stamp of €16,00 used for the online application and another revenue stamp of €16.
- Send a copy of Nulla Osta to the applicant who need to contact the Italian Embassy to apply for the entry visa for accompanying family members.
What to do (by the applicant and family members in their country)
- Contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate to submit the documentation about family status to finalise the request for visas.
- Once ready, collect the visa at the Italian Embassy.
The documentation required is: marriage certificate issued by the competent authority no more than 6 months before, birth certificate for children.
N.B. Certificates or any other documents issued by a foreign authority other than Italian need to be translated in Italian and legalised by the Italian Embassy to be accepted once in Italy. Documents with apostille are legally recognised in Italy provided that they are translated in Italian.
What to do once in Italy (by the applicant and family members)
If the applicant applied for a RESEARCH VISA: within 8 days from the arrival in Italy, the researcher and his/her family members have to register at the Sportello unico Immigrazione at the local Prefettura and collect the application kit for the permits of stay. A revenue stamp of €16,00 for each application, originals and copies of the passports are requested. After the registration applicant and family members have to send the kit at the post office.
If the applicant applied for a STUDY VISA: within 8 days from the arrival in Italy the applicant must send the immigration kit at the post office (see the study permit section), while his/her family members have to register at the Sportello unico Immigrazione at the local Prefettura and collect the application kit for the permits of stay. A revenue stamp of €16,00 for each application, originals and copies of the passports are requested.
After the registration family members have to send the kit at the post office.
The post office will give you a receipt of the application (keep it with you until you get the permit) and the appointment at the immigration office at Questura (don’t miss it!)
For more information on the fingerprinting appointment at Questura please see the instructions in section Residence permit, click on “read more” and see point 2