per il potenziamento dell’ internazionalizzazione di Università e Centri di Ricerca

Main menu

You are in:home>Udine>dailyLife>Driving licence>Non EU citizen

Non EU citizen

Are you coming from a third country and have moved your residence to Italy? It's time to exchange your licence... (conversione)     

You have 1 year time after you have moved your residence to Italy to exchange (conversione) your driving licence. If your driving licence or permit does not comply with the models established by international agreements to which also Italy is a party, then it must be accompanied by an authenticated translation into Italian or an equivalent document. You will be issued a new driving licence with an Italian number and a new expiry date.

However, only driving licences issued by a country that has signed an agreement of mutual recognition with Italy can be exchanged: Albania (valid untill 15/08/2014), Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador (valid until 12/03/2017), El Salvador (valid untill 19/09/2014), Estonia, Philippines, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, UK, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Morocco, Republic of Moldova, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Principality of Monaco, Czech Republic, Serbia, South Korea, Slovak republic, Romania, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka (valid untill 14/11/2016), Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, Hungary, Uruguay (valid untill 12/12/2014).
Please note that in specific cases only some citizens are entitled to have their driving licence exchanged: 
-  Canada (diplomatic and consular personnel)     
-  Chile (diplomatic personnel and their family members)        
-  United States (diplomatic personnel and their family members)    
-  Zambia (citizens engaged in a governmental mission and their family members).

N.B. If you are not going to move your residency to Italy, you can drive with your own driving licence accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP), issued by the foreign country that released the driving licence.   

What documents are needed to do the "Conversione" of your driving licence?
You must bring the following documents to Ufficio Provinciale della Motorizzazione Civile in Udine:         
-  Original driving licence (for visual examination) and a perfectly readable  photocopy of both its back and front. The original driving licence will have to be handed in when the Italian licence is collected. The licence to be exchanged must not have expired.
-  Licence exchange TT 2112 application form filled in and signed (the form is available free of charge at the Motorizzazione). If you are minor of age, the application must be signed by a parent or guardian.   
-   Valid ID in original and photocopy providing details of the current residence, or self-certification of residence (self-certification form available at the Motorizzazione);
-   Payment receipt for the sum of €9.00 paid to current account no. 86083623 and the sum of €32 paid to c/a 4028 (paying-in slips are available free of charge at the Motorizzazione).

(Remember to fill in the paying-in slip also with the applicant's name; married women must use their maiden name);        
-   2 recent passport-sized photos with bare head;
-   photocopy of your Italian tax identification number;   
-   Medical certificate in original and photocopy; the original must bear a €16 revenue stamp and have been issued by a physician under art. 119 of the Italian Road Code within the previous three months (Ask for the List of authorised doctors avilable in the all Province of Udine);  
-   for foreign applicants: valid permit of stay or residence permit in original and photocopy. The original permit of stay will also have to be produced when the driving licence is collected.      
-   In some cases, the licensing office may request a Declaration by the Embassy or Consulate of the country of origin stating that the original driving licence is authentic (for further information ask at the Motorizzazione).      
-   Authenticated translation of the driving licence, in case of driving licences that do not comply with the model set out by international agreements;     
-   Non-EU nationals must provide proof of the date they have become resident in Italy, either by submitting a residence certificate or a self-certification (as per art. 47, D.P.R. 445/2000).

Driving licences issued by non-EEC countries after the applicant has transferred their residence to Italy cannot be exchanged.

Insurance in Italy is compulsory for all types of vehicles. Therefore before coming to Italy, an extension of the car insurance for Italy is needed. It must be asked at the insurance company. More information can be provided by the Authority in charge in the country of origins and by the insurance company. A 'green card' (carta verde) - temporary frontier insurance valid for 15, 30, 45, 90, 180 days - can be purchased before entering Italy. It is compulsory only for vehicles registered in other countries except for those registered in EU and EEA countries.

Source: Motorizzazione civile Udine; Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport; ACI


Information for EU/non EU citizens, students and researchers

Information for EU/non EU citizens, students and researchers

Last update: Friday, March 20, 2015

Designed by Promoscience